Thursday, February 12, 2015

the nostalgic journey continues

I thought I would tell you a bit about my dad this time.
In 1942 when he was not yet 20 years old,
he qualified as an WirelessAir Gunner a month after signing up for the Royal Australian Air Force.
After completing his training he saw active service in New Guinea flying Beaufort bombers.

The Australian War Memorial recently published a book documenting  photos all of their exhibits. 
This Beaufort  (A9-557) is in their collection .



My father flew missions in this plane before he completed his tour of duty, 
and before it crashed in New Guinea in 1945.
Whilst it was being restored we were privileged to be given the opportunity to inspect it.
His War story was something that my father had almost never spoken of before.
Like many all around the world, the horror of war was something that was shut away.


At least 3 times  "wipe your boots" was painted on the side of the plane.
Sand in the plane could prove fatal!
The insights that he provided to such simple statements as this were fascinating.


Here is a page from his log book.






I have his  RAAF kit bag and trunk.
It surprises me the emotion these simple things conjure. 

1 comment:

  1. You ARE having a journey Maria...the likeness to you father is amazing

    ReplyDelete