Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Resting

Have you had a nice rest from me?
We have had a lovely week that didn't quite turn out as planned, nothing bad though.
Here's a quick summary:

We had a night in Edinburgh,very busy with the festival
and then flew to Kirkwall on Orkney.
While certainly not a culinary highlight the archaeology is fantastic.
We were advised to get out and see these standing stones while the weather was clear.
Good advice.
I don't want to bore you with endless photos of stones and mist and rugged coastline.
It is beautiful.
The archaeological sites spanned Neolithic to Pict to Viking. So much history.
And then there's Scarpa Flow and all the naval history....


This is a tidal causeway to the Brough of Birsay, with fog rolling in.
After 3 days on Orkney we were flying to Shetland but not to be.
With either Kirkwall fogged in or Sumburgh fogged in we didn't look like getting there before we had to leave and ended up on the boat to Aberdeen. Not in my comfort zone.
But we boarded a 11pm and had an inside cabin to ourselves: I was asleep before we left harbour and had maybe the best nights sleep of the trip. It was so dark!
Aberdeen, the unplanned destination, was great. We took a walking tour and a bus tour and this morning it's back to our lovely hotel in Edinburgh and the sun is shining!

5 comments:

  1. You've certainly been getting out and about lately!! Wonderful photos from you, the Standing Stones are quite amazing and I love the last two in the post of the leafy lane and the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still enjoying your travels. Glad to see the sun is shining on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to visit Orkney (but maybe I'll pack my own food!) My no. 2 son lived in Aberdeen for a year and loved it: he said the buildings sparkled when it rained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the allée walkway in the second to last photo is mesmerizing! I hope to get to Scotland too some day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have loved the pictures & talk of your travels! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete